W4.2 Sociology/Culture_Kim Minji

 <1> summary

Culture includes objects and symbols, the meanings given to their objects and symbols, and norms, values, and beliefs prevalent in social life. Culture changed from the concept of "high culture" thought in Europe in the 18th and early 19th centuries to the concept of "popular culture" to include a more diverse society. Culture can include anything that can provide meaning or give meaning among a group of people. Depending on the culture at hand, different meanings may be given to the same object or symbol.

<2> interesting point

The functional part of culture was interesting. Culture can not only have a specific utilitarian function of maintaining order as a result of shared understanding and meaning, but can also function to create and maintain social inequality. In other words, culture functions such as being used to justify the existing method or providing direction to a specific line of action. In response, Collins said that efforts for social justice and equality often have to overcome cultural patterns in which rulers and subordinates blindly accept existing social orders as natural or inevitable.

<3> question

Among the discussion questions in this article, there was a question, "Is there a better culture than other cultures. I think there are cultures that I prefer and don't like, but it's a matter of personal preference and there's no better or superior culture. What do you guys think?








Comments

  1. I agree with you. I don't think a better culture can be judged. However, as times change, there comes a time when our culture must change. In that case, wouldn't there be a better culture? It may be called a more suitable culture than a better one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Culture does change in where the newer one could be considered as the better one. However, it depends from which perspectives it is judged. What are the criteria? In this case it will always be subjective. As everyone in the end do have different opinions. Therefore I agree.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also agree. I don't think it's good to distinguish between superiority and inferiority in the realm of culture. I think we should understand and respect each other's culture and live further than deciding on the superiority and inferiority of culture. We're all the same creatures on Earth. However, I don't think we can live with equal treatment if we are discriminated against just because someone's culture is better. For this reason, I don't think we should decide on the superiority or inferiority of culture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Culture is not good or bad. Every country, religion, and region has a different culture, and we need to respect all kinds of different cultures. A very popular expression nowadays is cultural integration, and we should learn the positive parts of culture.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Science & Futurism with Isaac 2_extra credit

Extra credit—Examples of values that have been commodified

W5.2- Introduction to Sociology/Religion-LUAN QIANYUE